Peter Loso was main settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German negotiation in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 on which the Community of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon used and the Township was sorted out in 1858 covering 81 square miles. Actually called Clinton, St. Joseph acquired its current name in 1870. Many settlers emerged for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Village was designed in 1890. As the township grew, so did the needs of its residents, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their plan in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a prison, install a open public well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and establish liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a challenge and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was structured, which happens to be the St. Joseph Fire Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the households after multiple years of hardship because of the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of St. Joseph Missourr 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering enough time to milk cows so additional time could be spent on crops and canine care. Immediately after, World War 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to combat.
After the warfare ended individuals were in a position to get their lives back again on the right track, at least for some time, before the currency markets crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in place so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which somewhat reduced the hardships of the market crash. With the depression effecting every click here person in town, the city needed to stick together more than ever. Through a federal offer, the Council could hire the unemployed to help clean and maintain the Village.
On December 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially got into the united states into World Conflict 2. Rationing website tokens were given out because so many items were an issue. At that time St. Joseph had a population of around 1050, losing 10 heroic troops to the battle. The community continued to be strong and continuing to increase the Village, adding a normal water tower in 1949, along with a new Village well. In 1959, St. Joseph started out fluoridating its normal water supply, and remains to do so.